As part of our Veganuary food adventure this month, we asked plant-based foodie Elisa (@HappySkinKitchen) to create some vegan-friendly recipes for us (see all four recipes on our blog). This loaded vegan breakfast muffin recipe is the perfect savoury breakfast or brunch idea for when you want something super filling and packed with flavour. We love the tofu ‘pancake’ which goes so well with the crunchy veggie burger.
Don’t forget to let us know if you try out the recipe in the comments section below or tag us in a picture on social. We love hearing about your recipe creations!
For more recipes like this one, check out our Veganuary Recipe Book HERE.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
2 English muffins
2 Strong Roots Pumpkin & Spinach Burgers
2 Strong Roots Ripened Avocado Halves (defrosted)
2 large slices of tomato
Handful of rocket or spinach leaves
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
For the tofu ‘pancake’:
170g of silken tofu
1/4 cup of chickpea flour (also called gram flour)
1/4 cup of water
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon of corn flour
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
Salt and pepper to season
1 tablespoon of coconut oil for cooking
Slice of vegan cheese (optional)
1. Mash the Ripened Avocado Halves with a fork until you have the consistency of guacamole. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Leave to one side.
2. Place the Pumpkin & Spinach Burgers on a baking tray and cook according to packet instructions.
3. In the meantime make the tofu ‘pancake’. Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until you have a smooth, thick batter. Add in a handful of spinach and blend again.
4. Heat the coconut oil in a non-stick pan. Add two pancake sized amounts of batter to the pan. Cover with a lid, turn the heat down slightly and let the steam cook them through. Flip the pancakes and cook for another 3-5 minutes (the pancakes are ready to be flipped when the top is solid to touch).
5. Slice the muffins in half and place in the toaster or oven until lightly toasted. Spread a thick layer of guacamole on one half and top with some fresh rocket or spinach, the Pumpkin & Spinach Burger, a slice of tomato and the tofu ‘pancake’. Spread some more guacamole onto the other half of the vegan breakfast muffin and enjoy!